Skip to main content



Parent's Right To Know

Parent’s Right to Know – Highly Qualified Teachers

  • Parents may request information regarding the professional qualifications of their student’s classroom teachers, including the following:
  • Whether the teacher has met state qualification and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas taught.
  • Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or temporary status through which state qualifications or licensing criteria are waived.
  • The teacher’s baccalaureate degree major, graduate certification or degree, and field of discipline.
  • Whether the student is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
  • Parents may request information on the level of achievement of their student on each of the state’s academic assessments.  Family letters explaining their student’s achievement on state assessments will be provided.

Title I Parent Involvement
The Johnstown Monroe Local School District recognizes that parental involvement increases a program’s rate of success; and therefore, requires that parents of children involved in Title I be given the opportunity to be involved in the design and implementation of the program.  Responsibility for improved achievement will be shared by parents, the child, and teachers through a school parent child partnership. Parents lacking literacy skills or whose native language is not English will have Title I information relayed to them in a different format. Parents will assist in planning, reviewing, and offering suggestions on school programs.

At an annual meeting, parents will be provided with an explanation of the year’s program and of the school’s curriculum. The present Parent Involvement Policy will be made available to parents and suggestions for changes will be requested. The program will include an in-service session related to Title I reading, parenting, or a topic of interest identified by parents. Other meetings will be organized as a need develops. In order that the program meets the needs of students, needs assessments via surveys will be distributed to parents, teachers, and building principals. The school wide program will enable the Title I teacher to have more flexibility in meeting the educational needs of the students.  Title I educational personnel will be readily accessible to parents. Timely response to parent recommendations will be made. The Title I teacher involved in the school wide reading program will consult with regular classroom teachers and parents on student progress.  Title I parent teacher conferences will be held on regularly scheduled conference days. Title I teachers will discuss the assessments used to measure student progress and the level of proficiency the students are expected to meet. Parents will be encouraged to participate in their students’ learning.

Title I School Parent Child Partnership

I will be responsible for supporting the learning of my child in the following ways:

Seeing that my child is punctual and attends school regularly; Encouraging my child’s efforts and being available for questions; Reading progress reports; Participating in/attending parent conferences; Helping my child with projects; Taking my child to a library; Supporting the school’s efforts to maintain proper discipline; Placing value on school activities; Seeing that my child has a healthy breakfast before coming to school; Making sure that homework is completed; Monitoring the amount of television my child watches; Participating, as appropriate, in decisions relating to my child’s education; Volunteering in my child’s class; Staying informed about my child’s education and communicating with the school.


I will be responsible for improving my achievement in the following ways: Asking questions; Doing all school assignments; Listening in class; Going to bed at a reasonable time; Attending school regularly and on time; Abiding by all school rules; Using work time wisely; Participating in class; Behaving well; Reading every day.

I will share responsibility for improved student achievement in the following ways: Providing a high quality curriculum that enables the child to meet state performance standards; Notifying parents of changes affecting attendance, achievement, grades or behavior; Increasing communication between parents and teachers; Participating in conferences; Reporting student’s progress; Encouraging involvement; Encouraging all students; Being available to staff and parents.

I support this form of parent involvement. Therefore, I shall strive to do the following:

Provide and environment that allows for positive communication between the teacher, parent and student; Provide opportunities to be involved in the school and in their child’s education; Encourage positive communication between home and school; Encourage teachers to provide homework assignments that reinforce classroom instruction.

Here is a helpful link:
Getting Involved with your Child's Learning

McKinney Vento Act
If your family lives in any of the following situations: In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground; On the street; In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations; or Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing then, your preschool aged and school aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.

Your children have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long youhave lived there. They must begiven access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
  • Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school theylast attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. If a school sends your child to a schoolother than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.
  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homelessor the school they last attended, if you or a guardian request such transportation.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof ofresidency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arrangesfor the transfer of school andimmunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and youseek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all otherchildren served in these programs.
  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact the school district’s local liaison forhomeless education (740-967-6846)for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school. (Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.)
  • Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers inhelping your child adjust to new circumstances.
  • Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker forassistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Here is a helpful link: